It’s time to avail yourself of some useful and practical tips for choosing a new front door. Door replacement can be a hassle for some homeowners who don’t consider it the most glamorous home-improvement project. However, there’s a huge variety of outstanding front entryway designs nowadays, and we’d like to show you some.
Basic Tips for Choosing a New Front Door
There are a few important factors to consider when deciding to install a new door in your home. For one thing, interior doors and exterior doors face vastly different conditions that contribute to their life expectancy. In addition to front entryway doors, many homes have back doors, garage doors, sliding glass doors, closet doors, and so forth.
Focusing on front door replacement, we’d advise you to focus on these key variables:
- Define your budget. How much are you willing to spend on a door? Be mindful that there’s a significant price difference between simple wood slab doors and something premium from a company like Pella. Do you want to spend $1,000 or $10,000 on a new front door?
- Pay close attention to materials. Minnesota gets incredibly cold in the winter, and you don’t want to pay quadruple the power bill because your doors are letting in the frigid air. You should familiarize yourself with common door materials. Doing so will allow you to see the strengths and weaknesses of different styles such as wood, vinyl, fiberglass, aluminum, etc.
- Research the big door manufacturers. Fortunately, Craftsman’s Choice will install any door you want. All you have to do is shop around a little and visit the websites of the big names in the door-making business. These include ProVia, Pella, and Therma-Tru. Our representatives are happy to show you a full catalog of door styles.
How Do I Know When to Replace Doors?
Oftentimes, door replacement is pretty obvious when you’re talking about something really deteriorating after decades of usage. There are a few telltale signs that can help you identify when to upgrade old doors.
- You notice wood rot.
- You’re getting a bad draft in the winter (very noticeable in Minnesota).
- The door starts to squeak or stick.
- You want to upgrade to something nicer.
Most of those are deterioration problems, but we’ll address upgrade options in more detail in this next section. Many homeowners and residential property investors want to know how to take advantage of premium door designs to add home value and curb appeal.
Beautification and Curb Appeal Tips for Choosing a New Front Door
If you search for the top door brands, you’ll inevitably encounter names like Therma-Tru. These are the cream of the crop in terms of insulation. Their Benchmark doors, for example, are made from fiberglass, are completely rot-resistant, dent-proof, and look great on any home.
If you’re willing to splurge, there are custom front doors that go anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000. Those are the ornate ones that might have an arch shape with elaborate glass options.
Two of the most sought-after door styles in Minnesota are Craftsman and Rustic. Craftsman doors usually have two or three raised panels coming up from the base. They have several customization options, typically come with very large windows, and embody the old “Shaker” style.
Rustic doors can be either rectangular or arched. They come in stone, brick, or wood, and give your home a cool cabin look.
We encourage you to learn more by exploring the most popular door brands in Minnesota.
Consider Craftsman’s Choice for Your Next Door Replacement Project
Craftsman’s Choice is the best option for door replacement, siding, roofing, and more in the Minneapolis area. Door installation takes a decent amount of labor, but our crews can accomplish the task in no more than a couple of days.
Why should you call us for door work? Our customers really appreciate our superior workmanship, enough to reward us with a 4.9/5.0-star rating on Google Reviews. We also earned an A+ accreditation from the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
If you like these tips for choosing a new front door and want to replace yours soon, contact us to help you get started.